Is it just me or does it seem like White Linen Night always creeps up on us when we least expect it? Just when the thick, delicious air is beginning to descend on our city, it’s here like a flash of white light. Started 19 years ago as a brainstorm session on how to lure potential buyers and investors downtown to discover the cosmopolitan lifestyle that Gallery Row and Julia Street offered, the celebration has grown steadily since. I actually remember a time when I would come down with my parents and the streets were comfortably maneuverable. This year is sure to be one of the biggest to date what with the forecast practically perfect (low of 78).
That said, having weathered many White Linen Nights, I’ve created a perfect style-list for this artistic New Orleans occasion. It’s key to keep it simple, as I find that too many accessories will just weigh me down. And what’s more elegant than donning all white for the sake of a night out for art in New Orleans?
New Orleans Shops for White Linen Night
1. This Yumi Kim “Penelope” dress is the quintessential summer-night-out dress. It’s perfect because the dress is the accessory and the accessory is the dress! I happen to love everything Yumi Kim does and Em’s is always just a sure bet when you’re looking for…well anything! Em’s Clothing & Accessories is located at 246 Metairie Rd., in Metairie. Facebook | Instagram
2. A look is complete with a white gel manicure from Belladonna. I love gel manis because you don’t have to wait for you polish to dry. Besides that, Belladonna is a wonderful New Orleans spa experience in general. Belladonna Day Spa is located at 2900 Magazine St. in New Orleans. Facebook
3. This white Mod dress is designed by an amazing designer out of Florida named Camilyn Beth. Hattie Moll found Camilyn personally through a little bit of research and has carried the designer for three consecutive seasons now. I love a store owner who finds specific, well tailored, American-made collections and sticks with a designer season in and season out. Hattie Sparks is located at 714 Adams St. in New Orleans. Facebook | Instagram
4. If you’re going to accessorize your white linen, I’d recommend one big statement piece and this Lulu Frost necklace is just the piece. Angelique Maple (Maple Street) and Angelique Shoe (Magazine Street) have some of the best statement-jewelry options in the game. Also, both stores have a great selection of shoes! Angelique Maple is located at 7725 Maple St. Facebook | Instagram. Angelique Shoe is located at 5421 Magazine St. Facebook | Instagram
5. Have you been looking for the perfect excuse to purchase those white jeans? This, my friend, is the excuse if there ever was one. White Linen Night doesn’t have to be just for linen. Feel free to break the chain with denim and wear those white skinny jeans you’ve been eyeing. Abeille is located at 8438 Oak St. Facebook | Instagram
6. You can’t have a complete White Linen Night without the most perfect accessory: wine! If you’re hosting a pre or post party, it’s totally essential that you have a fabulous selection of white wine on ice and Martin Wine Cellar surely has you covered. Martin Wine Cellar is located at 3500 Magazine St. Facebook | Instagram
7. If you’re feeling frisky and you want to really turn some heads (while staying cool), this woven jumpsuit by Free People is the look. I love a white jumpsuit, and I’m confident you will, too. Free People is located at 2001 Magazine St. Facebook | Instagram
8. The truth is: you walk at White Linen Night. A lot. It’s great to have heels in mind, but in reality you just end up wishing you were in a pair of fancy sandals. These Trashy Diva shoes are the perfect combination! Trashy Diva not only has a great selection of shoes, they also carry some of my favorite labels like these Poetic License mini-wedges. How sweet they are! Trashy Diva is located at 2048 Magazine St. Facebook | Instagram
Now that you’ve picked out your perfect White Linen Night outfit, where should you go to show it off? One of the parties I’ll be attending this Saturday will be at Transportation Revolution - this is always so much fun, and I love the business owners and supporting local businesses and. The other party I definitely won’t miss is the Krewe Sunglasses Launch Party at Dirty Coast. Krewe just launched a week ago and it seems it has been perfect as far as branding, marketing and outreach. I’m always inspired to hear of entrepreneurs bringing business back to New Orleans, and this is the perfect example!
And if you’re into air conditioning and a restroom, I might suggest the option that the Children’s Museum offers. For everything else, check the full schedule of White Linen Night events and we’ll see you out there!
Photos credits: 1. Revolve Clothing, 2. Babble.com, 3. Camilyn Beth, 4. Angelique, 5. Shopbop, 6. Martin Wine Cellar, 7. Free People, 8. Trashy Diva.
FREE Weekly Roundup!
Enter your email address for updates on all the best things happening in New Orleans.