Like many weekends in NOLA, this one is full of fun and food! Whether you’re watching the Million Dollar Quartet, celebrating “American Routes” fifteenth anniversary, catching the Big Easy Rollergirls play the Charlotte Rollergirls, enjoying crawfish and beer at Bugs & Brew, eating crawfish at Tulane Crawfest, or tasting chili at the annual Wood Enterprises Chili Cook-off, you’re certain to leave the weekend will a happy soul and stomach! Enjoy your weekend, NOLA!
1. Million Dollar Quartet at Mahalia Jackson – This Broadway hit musical inspired by the story of the famed recording session that brough together Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins will be playing in New Orleans all weekend. Here you can catch the story of how these four young musicians were brought together to create what would be one of the best jam sessions of all time twisted with tales of broken promises, betrayal, and celebrations. Tickets are available on the Mahalia Jackson website and the musical is playing at various times throughout the weekend.
Friday, April 19
2. American Routes Fundraiser Concert – This Friday, Nick Spitzer and “American Routes” will celebrate the show’s 15th anniversary with a concert at Rock ‘n’ Bowl on Friday. If you’re not familiar with “Routes”, it is a public radio show that has traveled far and wide to many American music cities. The celebration will include performances by the Treme Brass Band, Irma Thomas, Lost Bayou Ramblers and more which will be taped for broadcast in July. Tickets are $22 and the money raise helps “American Routes” continue to reach millions of listeners a week!
Saturday, April 20
3. Big Easy Rollergirls – Our Big Easy Rollergirls will be taking on the Charlotte Rollergirls on April 20 at the UNO Lake Front Arena. Come out to see some hard-hitting action in the girls second game of the roller derby season. If you’re not familiar with roller derby, it’s simply a contact sport played in roller skates on a track and it’s quite entertaining! Tickets are available through the Big Easy Roller Girls website.
4. Bugs & Brew – Do you like crawfish, music and beer? Great! We have just the event for you. This Saturday head to Mardi Gras World for Bugs & Brew to enjoy delicious crawfish, a stellar music line-up and beer from all 7 Louisiana Craft Brewers! For $50 you can get the Cajun Pass which offers all you can eat food and drink for one. Proceeds from the event benefit the Drew Rodrigue Foundation and there will be more than 50 teams competing for the titles of Best Crawfish and Best Lagniappe!
5. Tulane Crawfest – Tulane University will be hosting its annual Crawfest full of great music, food and art this Saturday at its Uptown campus! Come out to enjoy 12 bands and over 19,000 lbs of crawfish, as well as local food and art vendors! Admission to the event is free and open to the public but crawfish and drinks cost $10 a person to anyone who is not a Tulane student or faculty member. You can get more information on the Crawfest 2013 website.
Lagniappe: 5th Annual Wood Enterprises Chili Cook-off – The ultimate chili cook-off will be held Saturday at Café Lafitte’s, Good Friends bar, Rawhide, and Oz in New Orleans. The contestants will be making two gallons of chili in three hours with no pre-cooked ingredients and then from 4-6 p.m., people will be able to taste the chili for a fee of $10. At 6 p.m., the tasters will vote for the chili they liked best at each location and then the winners will go up against each other in the championship round. The cook-off winner will receive half the money collected and the other will go the Food for Friends.
FREE Weekly Roundup!
Enter your email address for updates on all the best things happening in New Orleans.