This weekend in NOLA is just like every other weekend – jam-packed with awesome things to do! Whether you’re looking for ways to entertain family or just wanting to get out of the house for a bit, we have five great options for keeping you and your family entertained this weekend! You can catch Mary Poppins at Mahalia Jackson, celebrate the end of the Mayan Calendar, send the kids to a cooking workshop, watch the Christmas Special at The New Movement, and see the New Orleans Hornets play the Indiana Pacers. We warned you it was jam-packed! Happy weekend, NOLA!
1. Mary Poppins – If you’re looking for an event for the entire family, head to Mahalia Jackson Theater for Disney’s Mary Poppins! Broadway in New Orleans will be presenting this exuberant, irresistible story at multiple times over the weekend. The show is noted for having incredible dance numbers, spectacular stage-craft and unforgettable songs. The schedule is available on their website and you can also purchase tickets through their online box office.
Friday, December 21
2. Cosmic Convergence Festival - How cool would it be to be a part of something that only happens every 25,600 years? Well, this is your chance! This festival is an all-day affair that celebrates the ending of the Mayan calendar. One of the world’s leading Ancient Astronaut Theorists has a plan to prevent the destruction of planet Earth and will be hosting a once in a lifetime multi-media extravaganza! The event will take place at the Sugar Mill and includes a star-studded line up of musicians, DJs and performers. To keep you energized during the festivities, they’ll have specialty food trucks and various other vendors! The festival is an 18+ event and the doors open at 11 a.m. and the music begins at 12 p.m. Tickets are available online.
3. Cooking up Christmas: Children’s Workshop - During the holidays, kids are out of school for quite some time and parents may need a break. This is the perfect one! Children will make 19th century sweets in the Hermann-Grima House’s authentically restored 1930s kitchen. While their goodies bake, they can see the historic house dressed gorgeously for the holidays! The workshop is for children ages 9-13 and is from 1-4 p.m. Advance registration is required and tickets can be purchased online for $12 for members and $15 for nonmembers.
Saturday, December 22
4. TNM Christmas Special - Before you head to see your loved ones and enjoy the holidays, catch the Annual TNM Christmas Special at The New Movement NOLA at 1919 Burgundy in the Marigny. This is the first time the New Movement Christmas Special is coming to New Orleans and you won’t want to miss it! For $10 you can see the real tale of how TNM NOLA was founded on Christmas Eve and also catch caroling by the students of TNM and then wrap up all of the festivities with their holiday party. They urge you not to come late because the show will start at 8 p.m. sharp!
5. Hornets vs. Pacers Basketball Game - What’s a holiday weekend without some sports? Bring the family out to the New Orleans Arena and enjoy seeing our local Hornets play the Indiana Pacers. The game starts at 7 p.m. and there are tickets available online. Bring your best Creole blue and Mardi Gras gold – it’s going to a fun one!