Have you gotten yourself into the holiday spirit yet? We sure hope so because this city never slows down and there’s a full list of fun and festive events going on this weekend. From an encore of the eccentric Fringe Fest, to last minute shopping on Magazine Street, this weekend is going to be a busy one. Also, don’t forget to check in with us on Monday to see our highlights from the weekend.
1. Fringe Fest Encore – If you were sad to see the peculiar Fringe Festival come to an end mid-November, or failed to make it out to any of the 70+ shows, your whole month is about to be made. This weekend is the encore at the Art Klub at Michaelopoulos’ studio in the Marigny showcasing five shows from the original Fringe Fest. Who has been selected for this last hurrah? Skin Horse Theater’s “The Importance of Being Earnest,” Diana Shortes’s “White Sauce and Diaper Babies” and Reese Johanson Performance Collective’s “UNROUTE” to name a few! Find out more with all the details and the complete schedule.
2. Holiday on the Boulevard Festival – This weekend, Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard will be exploding with holiday cheer at the 13th annual Holiday on the Boulevard Festival held at the Ashe Cultural Arts Center! Come out on Saturday and Sunday to enjoy a holiday marketplace, music of all types, dancing and spoken word. To make things even better, the celebration is free and open to the public!
Saturday, December 8
3. Merriment on Magazine – The holidays are quickly approaching and if you haven’t quite finished your gift shopping, Magazine Street has you covered! Not only are they extending their hours every Saturday until Christmas, but they also are making things a bit more beautiful on Magazine with their Storefront Decorating Contest based on online voting. Many stores will also offer refreshments, live entertainment and store discounts to spice up your last minute shopping! And I’ll let you in on a little secret, they are doing a pretty awesome Facebook Giveaway with daily prizes, and who doesn’t like free stuff around the holidays?
4. Frerestivus – It’s the beginning of the month and you know what that means – the Freret Market! This Saturday from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., on the corner of Freret and Napoleon you will find fresh food, unique art and eclectic flea finds. You can also catch a glimpse of the Big Easy Roller Girls while adopting a new pet and hearing John Mooney play live. Now that’s what I would like to call one heck of a market!
5. Finder’s Fete – If you dig scavenger hunts, animals and the French Quarter, you’re going to want to check this out. The Gambit and playNOLA have teamed up to present what they have dubbed to be the most awesome scavenger hunt that the city of New Orleans has ever experienced. They are taking a team approach and ask that you find three friends over the age of 21 to make your team but if you’d prefer to ride solo, you will be paired with a team upon arrival. The hunt begins at 10:00 a.m. and will wrap up with a celebratory after-party. We have to agree with them, it’s a pretty perfect way to pass a good time on a Saturday in December!
FREE Weekly Roundup!
Enter your email address for updates on all the best things happening in New Orleans.