This weekend in New Orleans will feed all the senses. Stomp at Mahalia Jackson will be a feast for the eyes and Scales and Ales a feast for the belly. The Hungry in the South Film Feast Festival will take care of both with plenty of delicious food to eat and fine film to watch. Throw in a Juvenile concert and a burlesque festival and your weekend just got taken to the next level.
Friday, September 14
1. Scales and Ales - In need of a little adult fun? This Friday, head to the Audubon Aquarium for Louisiana Seafood’s Scales & Ales. From bites and brews, to raffle prizes, the night will not disappoint. The event will begin at 8 p.m. and wrap up at 11 p.m., but if you would like to party for an extra hour, you can purchase a VIP ticket to start the party at 7 p.m. Tickets are limited and must be purchased in advance. All proceeds benefit Audubon Aquarium of the Americas’ education programs and conservation efforts. A good time for a good cause – you can’t beat it!
2. Juvenile with Mystikal - Once you finish at the Aquarium, you can head straight to Howlin’ Wolf at 10 p.m. to catch Legends of The Game featuring New Orleans favorites Mystikal, Juvenile, Big Mike, Geto Boys, and UNLV hosted by Gregory D. The tickets cost $25 and Howlin’ Wolf sums it up by saying, “Come out to hear Hip Hop by some of the best ever to do it…”
Thursday – Saturday
3. New Orleans Burlesque Festival – This weekend you can catch some of the best burlesque dancers in the world as they perform here in New Orleans. The fourth Annual New Orleans Burlesque Festival starts Thursday, September 13 and goes through Saturday, September 15. Comic emcees, singers, and other entertainers will provide quite a show in celebration of what made Bourbon Street famous worldwide. The famous crowning of the “Queen of Burlesque” will take place at Harrah’s on Saturday before all the competitors head to the Queen’s Ball to wrap up the three day extravaganza.
4. Stomp at Mahalia Jackson - Have you ever thought about using a broom as an instrument? Well, you can see it used as one by the international percussion sensation, Stomp, as they perform shows all weekend at Mahalia Jackson. The group is promised to jam with anything from matchboxes, to zippo lighters and will amaze audiences of all ages. After 20 years of practice, you can rest assured this show will leave you nothing short of awestruck.
5. Hungry in the South Film Feast Festival - If you’re a fan of southern food, I have just the event for you. The Southern Food and Beverage Museum is having its Hungry in the South Film Feast Festival right here in New Orleans on September 13-16! The event is not only a celebration of southern food, but is also an opportunity to take a much deeper look into the culinary world. The events range from a seminar touching on the rise of food trucks to a Film Feast at Rouses Market Downtown. Tickets to all events are available through Brown Paper Tickets and member discounts are available for SoFAB members.